5 Ways to Improve Your Chances of a Successful Workers Compensation Claim
Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C.: Workers Compensation Attorneys Queens NY Appreciates
If you sustained a serious injury while at work, experienced workers compensation attorneys in Queens NY will probably tell you that it’s best if your claim is approved the first time. The sooner you get started on a claim and make sure the details are accurate, the more likely it will be processed and approved. Otherwise, you might have to pay for medical expenses out of your own pocket, and you might have to call in sick without pay until you recover. That’s a double whammy. Those are all issues you don’t have to deal with. Avoid the headache by doing your claim the right way. Workers compensation can be tricky to understand, but a good legal team will spend the time with you to simplify the process. Call Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. to schedule a complimentary consultation with a knowledgeable workers compensation lawyer from our firm.
We have extensive experience handling claims for injured workers. We also have an outstanding record of success in gaining the maximum amount of compensation possible for our clients. This is because of our years of experience and because we have a thorough understanding of employment law and workers compensation. A qualified and reputable lawyer knows how important it is to go above and beyond for every client. We are committed to fighting hard for our clients and building the best case for them so they can get back on their feet and speed up their recovery. While an attorney can provide a thorough explanation of how workers compensation is handled, there are recommended action steps clients should take to increase the likelihood of an approved claim early on. Here are five suggestions we have that can improve your chances of getting your claim approved the first time. However, one of our workers compensation attorneys in Queens NY will be happy to handle the claims process for you, even if your claim was initially denied.
- Get medical attention for your injury. Request copies of all of the doctor’s notes and your medical receipts in order to include them in your claim. Make sure each symptom you’re experiencing is noted and double check the accuracy of the doctor’s report. After an injury, it’s best to seek medical help right away, whether or not you feel fine after suffering an injury. Not taking this step can send the wrong message to insurance companies, making them inclined to dismiss your claim. This can go a long way towards proving that your injury is valid. You don’t want your claim to be rejected because you refused to get the proper medical attention.
- Notify your employer or supervisor that you sustained a workplace injury and how it happened. As soon as you can, take notes about what date and time you notified them, what you told them, and their responses. Having the detailed record will strengthen your evidence. What precautions or warnings were put in place after the injury occurred? Was your employer’s action appropriate and timely? Later, if they accuse you of not having notified them, you can counter with your documentation.
- As soon as possible, talk to anyone who witnessed your workplace accident. Obtain their contact info for future reference. Ask them to write in their own words with as much detail as they can what they saw in terms of how the accident happened and any other relevant information. Ideally, get their testimony on video as well. Using your cell phone to record it should be fine, as long as the video and audio are clear.
- Take photos if possible of your workplace where the accident occurred. Do not move anything at the location or adjust any objects in the area. Be mindful to take photos from every angle and make sure your photos aren’t blurry.If you’re unable to do this, request a coworker to do this on your behalf. It’s important to get as many images of the hazardous condition or details relevant to your accident, and to do this before your employer removes the hazard. It’s possible that they could claim the hazardous condition never existed, and so having visual proof can greatly enhance the strength of your workers compensation claim.
- Hire a law firm whose Queens workers comp lawyers have a good track record of negotiating settlements for their clients. Your lawyer can review your case, examine your documentation and paperwork, and provide guidance as to strengthening your claim. If needed, one of our Queens workers comp lawyers can refer you to a trusted physician who can provide a second opinion as to your condition. This is important because your employer’s workers compensation carrier will probably require that you see one of their doctors. Their doctor is not necessarily going to provide an objective opinion as to the extent of your injury or how you might have sustained it. The doctor could claim your injury isn’t serious, or that it’s not possible that you were injured in that way at work. That’s why it’s recommended you get another doctor’s opinion as well in case crucial details in the medical report are downplayed or left out.
A worker has the right to file a workers compensation claim in the event of an accident that causes injury. It may be intimidating to file a claim, but you deserve to receive a fair settlement and shouldn’t be discouraged by how your employer might react.
Every employee shouldn’t have to deal with hazardous conditions or be asked to tolerate unsafe work environments. It’s up to an employer to ensure the correct and adequate precautions are in place to prevent accidents that can lead to devastating injuries. If an injury does happen to occur, the employer should take accountability for any role they played in the accident.
Call Workers Compensation Attorneys Queens NY Respects
Obtaining workers compensation can be a frustrating and time-consuming experience, but our office can help alleviate the stress of navigating the claims process. The period after suffering an injury is already difficult enough to go through, but you don’t have to go through it on your own. Receiving legal advice at each step of the process can lift the burden off your shoulders. By assisting you with the more complicated parts of a claim, you can put your focus on your return to work. If you would like to maximize your chances of approval for your workers compensation claim, call our office today and request a free phone consultation with one of our skilled workers compensation attorneys in Queens NY.
“Justin was amazing for me. Walk me threw the step of how everything works start to finish and just made me feel comfortable. Also got me a lot of money. Had to throw that in. If anyone looking for a good attorney for comp this would be the place. Thanks buddy for everything!”