Workers Compensation Quick Tips
If you have been hurt at work, you might be wondering if it’s time to contact a workers comp lawyer New York can provide. The attorneys at Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. have been serving the community for over 25 years, helping employees file and pursue workers compensation claims. Consider reaching out to a workers comp lawyer New York relies on from our firm to schedule an appointment to discuss your claim. In the meantime, here are just a few quick tips to keep in mind when filing a workers compensation claim:
1. Don’t wait to seek medical care. It may go without saying, but don’t delay seeking any necessary medical care. Your first priority should be to get the help you need to make sure you stand the best chance possible for a full and healthy recovery. You have the legal right to seek medical care immediately if you need it, and if your employer prohibits you from doing so, contact a workers comp lawyer in NY.
2. Formally report your injury. After you have received any emergency care that you need, and as soon as you are able, report your injury to your employer. Even if you were surrounded by your coworkers when your injury occurred and even if you feel like “everyone” already knows, still report your injury. The workers compensation laws of New York requires employees to report their injury within a certain time period. If you don’t report your injury within this time period, you risk losing your entitlement to compensation under New York’s workers compensation law. A workers comp lawyer New York employees trust can help you meet these important deadlines.
3. Make sure you fill out any necessary paperwork. After you report your injury to your employer, you will likely need to fill out paperwork to describe your injury. Your employer should have this paperwork on hand and help you get started with the process. If your employer does not provide you with the forms you need or if you feel like they are keeping you in the dark about the claim-filing procedure, consider consulting a workers comp lawyer New York has to offer about your rights.
4. Be prepared for questions. Your employer and their workers compensation insurance carrier may have questions about how you were injured. They may ask you to submit proof of your injury and proof of the amount you have paid in medical bills. Be ready for these questions by keeping good records of your medical care and time that you miss from work.
5. Think about what benefits you may need. Consider that you may need more than just reimbursement for your medical bills to help you get back on your feet. You may also want to seek compensation for prescription medication, physical therapy and rehabilitation, and future treatment. In some circumstances, you may also be entitled to a percentage of your wages for time you missed from work due to your injury, job retraining, or compensation for any permanent disability.
If you were injured at work, Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. understands that it may be taking all the energy you have to recovery from your injury. The quick tips listed above are just a handful of the things that a New York workers comp lawyer may be able to help you with. Call or email Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. today to set up an initial consultation and learn what a workers comp lawyer New York workers depend on can do for you.