Workers Compensation Lawyers NY
If you would like a New York workers comp attorney to review your case, the attorneys of Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. have helped thousands of New Yorkers with their claims for 25 years. You deserve maximum compensation for a workplace injury. If we cannot negotiate a fair settlement,our attorneys have ample experience representing our clients in court.
An experienced workers comp attorney in New York may be able to negotiate a higher settlement than you could get without legal representation. If you’re faced with a permanent disability due to a workplace injury, you deserve maximum compensation. Before making an appointment with an attorney, you may wish to review the following information about permanent disability and workers compensation benefits.
Permanent Disability Awards
Eligibility for permanent disability awards is dependent on several factors:
- A physician must determine that you have attained “maximum medical improvement.” This means that you have recovered from your injury as much as possible, and any further medical treatment is unlikely to improve your condition.
- If you have completely recovered, and can return to work full time and perform your job at the same level pre-injury, you will not qualify for permanent disability benefits. However, if you still experience pain or you are limited in your physical or mental abilities, you may be eligible for compensation. When working with a New York workers comp attorney, you will want to inform him or her of your medical condition.
- A New York workers comp attorney can make sure that the process is followed correctly, and that you receive the amount of compensation that you deserve.
Total Permanent Disability
This category is for the most severe workplace injuries.
- The injury must be severe enough that you cannot be reasonably expected to perform your job in any capacity.
- Examples of a total permanent disability include the loss of sight in both eyes, decapitation of both arms, or a respiratory illness that requires the use of a ventilator.
- Those who suffer a workplace injury that causes total permanent disability are entitled to receive weekly payments for a lifetime that are equivalent to the amount of money they received for temporary disability payments.
Partial Permanent Disability
A partial disability is any injury that is not 100% disabling. The amount of benefits from a partial permanent disability is dependent on the worker’s permanent disability rating.
- A qualified and approved physician must identify the physical or mental limitations that resulted from the workplace injury. A workers comp attorney New York provides may be able to recommend a suitable physician.
- Based on the medical report, a rating process converts the findings into a percentage. This is your permanent disability rating. It takes into account:
- Ability to currently earn wages
- Ability to earn wages into the future
If you do not have a New York workers comp attorney, the Workers’ Compensation Board will determine the rating process on your behalf. If your attorney at Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. believes the rating determination is unfair, he or she may challenge it. This is important, because the rating affects the amount of your benefits.
Contact a Workers Comp Lawyer NY Can Rely Upon
To speak with a New York workers comp attorney about your case, contact Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. today to arrange a free consultation.