Construction Accident Lawyers Queens NY
When you are looking for construction accident lawyers Queens NY has many firms to choose from, but there is only one Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. We have a strong reputation for success throughout the five boroughs of New York. Whether you have been injured on a construction site or are a family member seeking legal counsel on behalf of a loved one, we are here for you. For a free consultation with Queens construction accident lawyers, please call our firm at (516) 594-0909.
How Construction Accident Lawyers Queens NY Can Help
The U.S. is dependent upon construction workers to build homes, buildings, roads, and more. Without them, the country’s infrastructure might face serious obstacles. These workers can be faced with harsh conditions and difficult tasks. In fact, between 2002 and 2012, up to 19.5% of workplace fatalities involved construction workers. As construction accident lawyers Queens NY provides, we understand the devastating repercussions of these incidents. Guided by our experience, zealous determination, and tenacious strategy, we can make every effort to achieve a positive resolution for our clients.
Causes of Construction Accidents
Construction accidents can happen for a broad range of reasons. The resulting injuries can be mild to moderate, severe, or life threatening. Sometimes, the accident results in a fatality. Seasoned construction accident lawyers Queens NY employees recommend understanding the reason for the high number of accidents is often attributed to the powerful tools, heavy machinery, and the dangers of the construction site. Many construction accidents occur because of negligence on the employer’s’ part, such as not providing protective gear, improper or not maintained tools, or other unsafe work site conditions.
Enclosed spaces, high elevations, and even weather conditions can add to the risk. When safety is ignored, the chances of sustaining an injury can be heightened. Construction accident lawyers Queens NY has to offer may see a number of different causes; however, the following are considered to be some of the most frequent – and often fatal – types of construction site accidents.
The first four types of accidents listed are considered to be the “fatal four.” These account for up to 64% of construction workers’ deaths:
Falls: In 2015, 38.8% of construction-related deaths were attributed to a fall. One of the most common citations for construction sites in 2015 by OSHA involved actions that could lead to a fall. This includes unsafe ladders, scaffolding issues, and inadequate safety protection for workers. If you or a loved one has fallen on a site, construction accident lawyers in Queens NY can meet with you and provide a legal opinion as to whether or not you have a strong claim.
Being Struck by an Object: Up to 9.8% of workers are killed when they are struck by an object at a construction site. This might include metal or wood beams, moving machinery, or other materials.
Electrocution: Electrocutions account for 8.6% of construction-related deaths. Faulty electrical components, bad wiring, or storms are often the reason for the fatality. Unfortunately, many of these deaths could have been avoided.
Caught In/Between: It can be very easy for a worker to get caught in between immovable objects, falling debris, equipment, or other material. Around 7.2% of people have died on a construction site after being crushed or caught in-between an object.
Machinery and Power Tool Accidents: A construction accident lawyers Queens NY trusts knows there are several reasons why machinery and power tools accident happen, including a defect with the machine or tool, improper maintenance, electrical failure, and lack of safe equipment. A study was conducted by Forbes Magazine of the most dangerous power tools and machinery that were responsible for the most injuries to construction workers. The list includes:
- Power nailers or nail guns;
- Chain saws;
- Table saws;
- Circular saws;
- Power drills;
- Back hoes;
- Air compressors; and
- Wood chippers.
Ladder Accidents: Accidents with ladder are one of the leading causes of construction accidents. The injuries from ladder accidents often cause long-term disability for the victim. There are several causes of these types of accidents including the worker being given the wrong type of ladder for the job they are performing or the ladder is not setup correctly or on a dangerous surface. Ladder accidents can also occur because the ladder has not been maintained properly.
Scaffolding Accidents: Scaffolding is used in all different phases of a construction job. Although there are stringent regulations in place, accidents still happen and are typically caused by improper construction of the scaffolding or failure of the employee to maintain the equipment. In one study conducted by the U.S government, almost 75 percent of scaffolding accidents were caused either by the planking or its support failing, the employee being struck by a falling object, or the employee slipping.
Disorders of the Musculoskeletal System: Construction accident lawyers Queens NY employees depend on knowing that it is not uncommon for workers in the construction industry to suffer muscle strains and sprains, as well as other injuries to the bones, joints, and nerves. Some of these injuries occur because of a one-time incident, but these types of injuries are frequently seen in construction workers who have been in the industry for a while. The harsh physical demands that are placed on workers and the repetitive motions they often use to do their jobs are responsible for causing wearing and tear, leading to many of these injuries.
Vehicle Accidents: There are many types of vehicles on construction sites, including backhoes, dump trucks, forklifts, and graders. Construction accident lawyers Queens NY workers trust have helped many construction accident victims who were injured because they were hit by a vehicle on the site. Other victims fall from vehicles or are injured because the forklift they were on flipped over.
The fatal four statistics listed above do not include anyone who might have been injured but did not die. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration estimates these fatal four could be eliminated, but are hardly the only causes of accidents. Other types of incidents Queens construction accident lawyers have helped clients with include:
- Road accidents (i.e. being hit by a car)
- Exposure to hazardous material
- Deep cuts and abrasions
- Loss of limb
- No matter what type of injury happened to you or a loved one, you should call construction accident lawyers Queens NY trusts as soon as possible.
Contact Construction Accident Lawyers Queens NY Workers Depend On
Construction accidents can be devastating and change a person’s life forever. Apart from the physical injury, mental issues like post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety are common. If you have suffered a work injury, you may have spoken to other construction accident lawyers in Queens NY who you just didn’t feel would advocate aggressively enough for you.
What to Do If You Were Injured in a Construction Accident
Construction sites can be dangerous places. If you were injured while working on a construction site, you may be entitled to compensation. The steps you take immediately after the accident can impact how much compensation you ultimately receive for your injuries.
- Report the Injury to Your Employer: Most construction accidents are covered by workers’ compensation. However, in New York, workers only have 30 days to report an injury to their supervisor. If you tell your supervisor about your injury once the deadline has already passed, you may lose out on your right to workers’ compensation benefits.
- Gather Evidence: If you are able to, a construction accident lawyer Queens, NY residents trust suggests going back to the construction site and obtaining evidence. Take photos of the scene, including any equipment that was involved. It’s also important to not wash the clothes you wore during the accident and put them in a plastic bag. Additionally, write down everything you remember about the accident in a journal, including how it happened and how your injury affects your daily life.
- Speak to Witnesses: Did anyone else see the accident happen? If so, your construction accident lawyer in Queens, NY would advise you to obtain their contact information. Witness testimony can strengthen your case. If a witness testifies on your behalf, it could prove liability and help you recover fair compensation.
- Go to the Doctor: It is critical to seek medical care as soon as possible after your construction accident, even if you do not feel too badly hurt. Some injuries, such as concussions, don’t always show symptoms immediately, but may get worse over time. If you see a doctor, he or she will assess the severity of your injuries and recommend the appropriate treatment. If you do not seek medical attention promptly, you could put your health at risk. Delaying medical care can also cause the insurance company to argue that you are not as injured as you claim to be.
- Talk to a Lawyer: If a third party, like a contractor or equipment manufacturer, is responsible for your injuries, workers’ compensation will not cover the damages. Therefore, you need to file a personal injury claim against all the liable parties. For instance, if the accident occurred because of defective equipment, the manufacturer could be held responsible for your injuries. An experienced construction accident lawyer in Queens, NY will look into every party that may be liable for your injuries and improve your chances of getting the compensation you deserve. During your initial consultation with your lawyer, do not forget to provide him or her with all the documentation related to your accident, such as medical records, witnesses’ contact information and photographs of the accident scene.