Urgent Message: PSR's Rockville Centre Office Is Now Open For In-Office Appointments. Click To Read More.

NY Workers Compensation FAQNY Workers Compensation FAQ

When you’ve been injured at work, it’s understandable that you may have questions for a NY workers compensation lawyer. Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. have lawyers waiting to answer your questions. Set up a free consultation by calling 718-804-5836 today.

In the meantime, take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions our clients have:

Who pays for workers compensation insurance?

As a NY workers compensation lawyer may tell you that you, as an employee, don’t have to pay for workers compensation insurance. It will not be taken out of your paycheck as a deduction and you won’t have to pay for it if you use it. Your employer incurs the cost of providing the insurance.

What should you do if you’re injured at work?

The first step you should take is to notify your supervisor and seek medical treatment if you need it. By law, you may be required to report your accident within 30 days to your employer. Your workers compensation lawyer in NY may advise you to tell your employer in person and to present a written statement as well. There are some cases where you may have up to two years to report an accident or a disease, but this is something you should ask your lawyer about.

The important thing to remember is that you may want to report the accident as soon as you can to improve your chances of compensation.

Can you choose your own doctor for treatment of a work-related injury?

Yes, you may choose your own doctor for treatment, but you may find that subsequent treatments or procedures may have to be approved by workers compensation insurance. In some cases, your employer may refer you to the company’s physician and request that you obtain a return to work status from that doctor instead of one you choose.

If you have any questions about medical care and workers compensation, you may want to ask a NY workers compensation lawyer by calling Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. today.

Does your employer have any responsibility to report your injury?

Yes. After an employee is injured, the employer is required to report to the insurance company and the applicable workers compensation commission. If your employer doesn’t report your injury, you may be able to seek legal action against them and may want to ask your NY workers compensation lawyer about your options.

What benefits are you eligible for through workers compensation?

You may be able to get benefits for medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation, time off work, temporary disability, and permanent disability. You may want to discuss your case with your lawyer and ask them what you are eligible for and what you may be able to expect so you can plan accordingly.

Under workers compensation, you have the right to any treatment necessary to relieve or cure the injury and the policy may pay for prescriptions, mileage to the hospital, and any medical bills for procedures or visits.

If you have any questions about workers compensation, we encourage you to give us a call for your free consultation. To speak with a NY workers compensation lawyer from Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C., call 718-804-5836 today.