Urgent Message: PSR's Rockville Centre Office Is Now Open For In-Office Appointments. Click To Read More.

Hauppauge NY Workers Compensation Lawyers Hauppauge NY Workers Compensation Lawyers

If you are injured at work, the first thing our Hauppauge, NY Workers Compensation Lawyers at Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. may tell you, is to report such an incident to your employer immediately. If you don’t, you could lose out on receiving coverage under a workers’ compensation program for medical expenses, lost wages, medication costs, and more. After reporting your injury, you may have to discuss a settlement regarding elements of your claim.

Here are examples of the kind of questions an employee may ask our Hauppauge Workers Compensation Lawyers when seeking advice regarding the settlement: 

What does it mean if I accept permanent-partial disability? 

If your injuries due to the workplace accident caused some degree of permanent impairment but did not result in complete disability, then you are probably eligible to receive a monetary sum as a way to compensate you for the change in health status. For example, you may receive permanent-partial disability benefits if your injuries now limits the scope of work you can perform, or if you had surgery but your body never returned to the same state as before. 

Am I giving up anything if I accept a settlement?

Yes, in most cases if you accept a settlement this means you are agreeing to not take further action or file another claim against your employer regarding the incident. For instance, if you accepted a settlement of partial disability benefits, then you are not able to argue that your injuries resulted in permanent or total disability afterwards. If you are unsure whether to agree to a certain settlement, it is in your best interest to consult with NY Workers Compensation Lawyers at Polsky, Shouldice & Rosen, P.C. for assistance. 

What if I have unpaid medical bills for the workplace accident?

If you had to pay out-of-pocket to see a doctor and receive treatment because of a workplace accident, then under workers’ comp you may be entitled to seek repayment for medical care costs. If your injuries were minor, you may only need to pursue coverage for unpaid medical bills, prescriptions, and ointments.

For more serious cases, you may need to pursue reimbursement for loss of wages if you had to miss work for an extended period of time. Your employer may offer you a lump-sum in exchange for you agreeing to not seek further compensation under their workers’ compensation program. 

How do I know whether I am accepting a reasonable settlement?

Employees who have never dealt with a workers’ compensation claim before, may not be sure whether they are accepting a fair settlement or if they deserve more. That is why many employees talk with our Workers Compensation Lawyers in New York, who understand the complex nature of workplace accidents. Perhaps the best way to find out whether you deserve more in a settlement is by obtaining legal counsel.

We can assess your situation and offer advice as to whether you should fight for more, or if what your employer is offering you is reasonable. There is no harm in getting insight from professionals who are experienced in the world of workers’ compensation program legalities. Please contact Hauppauge, New York Workers Compensation Lawyers from Polsky, Shouldice & Rosenn, P.C. for more information.